Thursday, July 12, 2012

Multiple Page Formatting

Besides market research, concepting, drawing, and designing, I have formatted multiple page documents with InDesign. One of them, a black & white, 150 page training folder for a non-profit organization. Style sheets are a must and please do not lose all your hair by formatting in Word! I practically lose a few even with Style sheets because of how tedious this gets.


J's Dream
It would be a dream to work on a style manual, or an annual report. I just love the variety you can do with a multiple page document. I've done plenty of small favors, like wedding programs and memorial programs for friends. Unfortunately, I would receive requests practically the week of or content decisions would be finalized very late, so I could only put out as much quality as the time given. So I've done plenty of work but not willing to showcase them. I don't know if artists or designers are ever completely proud of their work. If we were given as much time we wanted, would we really pull through with the best of the best? That's another topic in itself. My A.D.D is kicking in, so I'll stop here.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if designers had as much time as they wanted, it would end up like writing often does for me: If I let something sit for a bit and look at it again, I almost ALWAYS can find a way to tweak it, but I don't think it's always for the better. It's like watercolors, which get ruined if overworked. But it's hard not to be "haunted" by wondering if a certain piece/project is done. Corina mentioned that recently as well. She is STILL thinking about whether she completed the painting that's hanging in our living room! Anyway, this is a huge topic in itself, like you mentioned...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about how sometimes having no time at all has forced professional creatives to flush out some of the best ideas. Or, like with Steve Jobs, when the company prepared for the first Apple Store, they had to make a major change last minute. This pushed the grand opening back 3 months. He said, "If something isn't right, you can't just ignore it and say you'll fix it later. That's what other companies do."

      Delete