Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Ballaas Game 7: First Green Loss

Our first loss. Although it frustrates me, we know they didn't kill us. The reds won with 2 points ahead ending the game at 12-10. At first, we trailed on an off the first half by 3 to 4 points. Then 2nd half our game improved and we had better defensive moves. It took us a while to get in gear and get on the same page, which cost us 3 points in the beginning. The other thing is it seemed their roster was double to ours. We had less guys and missing a few key women players, which also played a factor. That means I got to play more and I did make some mistakes. I totally get confused w/ the transitions from vert stack to zone defense, or zone offense to zone defense. I prefer man defense (one-on-one) because it's simple and I can keep up with whomever I'm covering.

We rarely practice together as a team so we barely know how to work together. Except our strength is that we've got a lot of strong individual players. However, our game loss was due to a lot reasons. Too many turns, their strong defensive moves (their quick guys covering our girl receivers), and we were slower. At one point, I was confused about my position on the field so I stayed mid-field. A guy trusted me enough to pass to me, which I caught. However, their defense cracked down quickly and covered me with a tight cup and I couldn't even dump it back. So after 6 stall counts, I made a bet on my flick to shoot a little higher but of course it was blocked. Thankfully, one of our guys saved it but then he got stuck into a tight cup and then made a turn, which resulted into a score. They just knew how to do zone way better than us.  There were a lot of ifs, ands, buts, but it was a fun game for the most part.

Philip brought the kids to watch the game and the kids did well. Except, my sweet dear husband somehow missed the fact that one of our sons would go straight to an ant hill to get at least 10 bites on his bare feet. Poor thing.

Although we lost, we still played our best to the end and if we started off the same way we did in the 2nd half it wouldn't have ended the same way. I think I did the most yelling and screaming that game since the beginning of the season. For positive reasons of course. Screaming out of excitement that one of our girls made an awesome layout d (defense) to block a pass at the end zone, as well as another of our girls with layout d blocking a pass mid-field. One of our guys made a significant sky d at the end zone but it bounced up giving the offensive player a chance to catch again, but our guy blocked it a second time. Thrilling! Hopefully my yelling doesn't annoy my teammates, but I care about team morale. I think my main role on this team is to cheer. ;) And catch a few easy lobs when I cut deep or in this game I was poached right in front of the handler in the end zone and scored a point.

At the end, our captain gathered us and he told us now that we know how their team plays we still have the rest of the season to make adjustments. That's right, red! We'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment