Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Very Julia Salad

Okay, folks. For those of you who know me. I've mastered a simple salad, well sometimes varies, but I must say everybody really likes my salads. I can hear my friend, Shifie, rootin' in the background.


In good ol' college days, I used to mix up some sweet and savory together. With the influences from the likes of Intermezzo and other fantastic local joints in Berkeley, I have to have delicious and affordable salads. No ICEBERG!!!! Please! I'm ruined folks. Can't stand restaurants that serve salads w/ iceberg. Hmmm! You call that a salad?

Okay, okay sorry the food snob awakes. To give some credit, Tally has Olive Garden and Cody's that offer decent salad dressing to accompany the iceberg riven salads they serve.

Sniff. Sniff. I miss you Bay Area.
Rich Poppy Seed
Thankfully, I can make decent ones. And I can still buy Brianna's dressings at Publix. I had plenty of practice during my Berk-town years, because I made salad weekly for my Christian home meetings. Hsu's small group, I miss you dearly!! Like, one time I made a humungous bowl for maybe 25 servings.

Can't forget about that one w/ an episode that went along w/ it. One guy said, "Why didn't you make more?" I for one found it as a compliment, and my very strong feminist of a pal (you know who you are chika ;] ) next to me snapped back at him and said, "That was rude." My nervous self, giggled away to end the conversation. Awkward. But funny looking back.

The recipe was something like this:
  • Mixed greens (from Berkeley Bowl)
  • Torn pieces of green leaf or red lettuce
  • Sliced carrots
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Sliced red onion
  • Dried cranberries
  • Diced mangoes
  • Diced apples
  • Sliced cucumbers
  • Candied walnuts or pecans
  • The best part (served on the side): Brianna's Poppy Seed Dressing
Note: I always served dressing on the side, w/ other options like Balsamic Vinaigrette. Sorry folks, I'm not a huge Ranch dressing fan.

Yes, more on the sweet side but balances out w/ all the greens and creamy dressing. No photo of that, but I have a special feature of my recent salad.

My friend has always described my salads, "A Very Julia Salad." Here is one simple one. I don't have names for these things. I just toss together what I like. May I add, this was strongly influenced by one of my closest friends, Di, best Asian cook I know. Her salad will be featured soon. ;)

Pardon the photography. I'm saving up for an awesome cam.

Ingredients:
    Blush Wine Vinaigrette
  •  Mixed greens (pre-washed from Costco)
  • Sliced cucumbers
  • Sliced carrots
  • Canned sweet corn drained
  • Sliced red onion
  • Crumbled Feta
  • Dressing: Blush Wine Vinaigrette (I could drink this)



Did I say, "I could drink this?" Because it's sooo true.

No comments:

Post a Comment