Friday, June 29, 2012

Barksdale's Games 4 & 5

Undefeated still. Both games were close. The fourth game ended 11-10. That was a competitive team. I managed to block a pass once and later in the game scored a point. However, after leading 3 points we let some points go, making us even 10-10 until the last couple of minutes. Our team had possession and scored one more point to finish the game. The fifth game resulted with another tight game (9-8). That week, we had less people playing and also implemented zone defense for the first time.

Zone is mainly covering an area of the field and which uses more than 1 person to mark/defend the handler (offensive thrower). I was put in the center of cup at one point. To me, that was the easiest because all you had to think about was following the disc. The only hard part was to be fast enough to keep up w/ the disc. If there's dead wind, it's really fast. Zone is typically used on a windy day. Anyway, next week we play 2nd ranking team, which will be interesting to see how that ends up.

I'm excited to play, but really hoping that everyone shows up, especially our key players. It made a difference that some didn't show last week.

Funny story, I joined a practice last night with a club team and man was I whooped. They did several drills for about an hour and then some scrimmages. By the second half, I ended up chillin' or resting to watch and learn because I couldn't shake the little pain from my bruised knee. I ran into a guys cleat while making a deep cut. And I ask myself, why do I do this to myself. You are a mom of 3 and torturing yourself to what? I'm a perfectionist, I want to do my best at whatever I do.

I admire those moms who can sew, garden, do crafts w/ their children, and post about it on their blog. I do not plan on running a marathon, nor compete in a triathlon. That's just not me. Well, I know what's involved and how much these things tend to cost. So, to save money I will occupy my time w/ affordable activities like resort to playing Ultimate. It's soooooo much fun and forces you to stay fit. It drives me to wake up at 6 a.m. if not 5:30 to go to the gym to get a few miles on the treadmill so I can keep up w/ these college girls. Thanks to my loving husband, who supports me in this crazy endeavor I can have those nights to practice and/or play.

No comments:

Post a Comment